Sunday Sustenance


I Timothy 2:1-4 I exhort therefore, that first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men: For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

In light of the recent Presidential inauguration, I thought these would be fitting verses to mention. Whether we agree with or disagree with, like or dislike our new president and elected officials, we are commanded to pray for them. We must pray for those who are not saved to be saved, and for those who do know the Lord as their Savior to stand up courageously for what is right.

What would happen if the time we would normally spend complaining about governmental decisions with which we do not agree we used instead to retreat to our prayer closets and there lift up our officials before the Lord in prayer? The Bible says that "the king's heart is in the hands of the Lord"; however it is the prayers of God's people that will move the hand of God.

How has the Lord been working in your heart? I'd love to hear from you either in a comment or an email and have you share what the Lord has been teaching you!

2 comments:

  1. Great article. I especially liked your point, "What would happen if the time we would normally spend complaining about governmental decisions with which we do not agree we used instead to retreat to our prayer closets and there lift up our officials before the Lord in prayer?" Wonderful advice! I think I'll also pray for some of the conservative talk show hosts to do this as well! Wouldn't that be nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a conservative radio die-hard, and I did hear a couple of them say that they were praying for President Obama. I have decided that, as he is my president now, I will join them. I do appreciate the reminder that the hand of God moves the hearts of our leaders and that we, as His people, can pray that God's hand be moved. There's so much power in that. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete